First released in 2018, Among Us wasn’t an instant hit. Instead, the game only had 1800 active players in the first year.
However, thanks to Brazilian and South Korean streamers, the social deduction game started attracting more players.
In September 2020, Among Us climbed up the Steam, App Store, and Google Play Store rankings. And that’s when this casual time-killer turned into a pop-culture phenomenon.
While players are demanding Among Us 2, the devs at Innersloth are hard at work to improve the original by adding one more to the Among Us maps and adding a few more features.
Bringing a new Among Us map, increasing the number of players per lobby, and adding new Crewmate roles are just a few changes made so far.
According to 2022 Among Us Roadmap, the devs have plenty of stuff in the pipeline, one of which is the currently untitled Map 5.
We’ll tell you everything about the new Among Us map, when it will be released, and more. So, let’s dive into it.
When is the New Among Us Map Coming Out?
Everyone wants to know about the Among Us new map release date. The hype is real, not just for the new Among Us map but also for the additional changes coming with the map.
However, the only certainty is that it will happen in 2022. It could be the very next month, or it could take up to December.
Among Us only had one map when it came out, The Skeld. The second map – MIRA HQ – was added almost a year later.
To add the third map – Polus – devs only took 3 months. And then 4 months later, in March 2021, The Airship was added. So, there’s no pattern or predictable time for these additions.
It all happens whenever the devs feel like it. And all we can do is hope that it gets here sooner rather than later.
How to Get the New Among Us Map?
The New Among Us map is part of a major content update, and all you would have to do is update Among Us to the latest version. Depending on which platform you use, the update could be free or paid.
Among Us is a free-to-download game on iOS and Android devices, but costs $3 on Steam. And all the content updates so far have been free for all the users.
Whether it’s been the addition of 3 new maps, 8 new colors, or 2 new character roles- every new feature has been added through free updates, and we don’t expect that to change.
Since we are not expecting any new characters in Among Us, Among Us Map 5 is the biggest attraction, and the developers have prepared a three-course meal this time around.
We will also discuss every new feature coming to Among Us in detail to get you onboard ours Among Us hype train.
New Among Us Map 5, Hide n’ Seek Mode, & more
If you were of the impression that only a new Among Us map is coming out in 2022, you’re in for a ride.
A new map is indeed coming, but accompanying that in a major content update are features that we players have been wanting for years.
Is the new Among Us map out? Not yet.
However, some new features have already been rolled out, and others are still in the works. One thing is for sure, all these are coming in 2022.
Already Rolled-Out Changes
- Achievements: Now you can complete certain achievements to receive in-game rewards. Achieve a certain number of Impostor Kills or complete some tasks as Crewmate to win Beans, Cosmicubes, and improve your ranking.
- Cross-Progression: Thanks to Account Creation, players can now save their progress on one platform and pick it up from there on another. Players playing on both PC and Mobile will get to access unlocked cosmetic items and claim achievement points on any platform.
- 4 Crewmate Roles: With 4 roles added in Among Us, the devs brought a new twist to the gameplay. Scientist, Shapeshifter, Engineer, and Guardian Angel roles add a whole new dimension to the game.
- Map 5: Players are excited to play a whole new location with their friends. An unknown location means more chaos, more venting, and more fun.
- Friends List: The most demanded feature is finally coming to Among Us. Players will be able to create a Friends List with players from around the world. No more mate-hunting on Among Us Discord servers to find people you had a great game with.
- Ghostface Cosmetics: Innersloth has hinted at future collaborations and it’s starting with Scream. The iconic Scream Mask cosmetic is coming to Among Us for the ghosts.
- QOL Updates: The devs have ensured QOL updates too. The new account creation and quick chat options have proved difficult to tackle for a majority of players, so some changes are in the works to make it all a bit ‘less confusing.’
- Hide n’ Seek Mode: Finally the Hide n’ Seek mode has been officially announced. Everyone was already playing it in some capacity, but the official inclusion means a tailored Hide n’ Seek gameplay- much better than a near-blind Impostor running around spamming the kill button.
We’re looking forward to this one more than the new Among Us map, to be honest.
- New Role: A new Crewmate role is also coming. In the trailer, a Sheriff is seen running around on the MIRA HQ map. The abilities are yet unknown but it seems the Sheriff will act as a protector of Crewmates.
And that’s all that’s been revealed in the Among Us 2022 Roadmap blog post. There might be a few more surprises in the latest update, we’ll just have to wait and see.
With the new Among Us map, the developers are hoping to gain back the players as the number of concurrent players has fallen from over 500 million to just over 432 million in January 2022.