Enter the Gungeon is an intense action shooting game where players have to head into a dangerous dungeon and try to get as far as possible without dying.
Once you are dead you lose all your cool gear and respawn at the main hub. And you start all over again.
But is Enter the Gungeon Multiplayer supported?
Can you seek the help of your friends to join the artillery-fueled mayhem? In this post, we will find out whether we can play the title in multiplayer mode locally and online.
Is Enter The Gungeon Multiplayer Possible?
Yes, there is Enter the Gungeon multiplayer mode where you can play with one of your friends. You heard me! You can only add one friend in the co-op mode. But there’s a catch there too.
Enter the Gungeon supports local multiplayer and no cross-play is supported. That means you and your homie need to plug in an extra console and sit next to you and enjoy Enter the Gungeon Multiplayer.
It’s not a bad thing but your multiplayer options are restricted. You need to have an extra controller and be extrovert enough to invite a friend over to enjoy tag-teamed ass kicking.
Enter the Gungeon is available on PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch.
And in case you want to leverage the multiplayer option in any of the above platforms, you just have to plug in an extra controller to your console and you are good to go.
If you are playing it on a PC, one of you can play using keyboard controls while the other needs to plug in a compatible controller to the CPU and get started.
How To Enter Co-op Mode In Enter The Gungeon?
Before I tell you how to enter the multiplayer mode in Enter the Gungeon, let me give a brief rundown of its playable characters. When you start the game you can choose from 4 Gungeoneers (characters who explore the Gungeon) to be your lead character.
You can either be The Pilot, The Convict, The Hunter, or The Marine. And when you choose to enter the co-op mode with your friend, the second person can only be The Cultist.
They can’t opt for any other character. That’s a given.
To start multiplayer mode, launch the game, choose your lead character, and connect another controller to your console or PC. Head into the hub area as the main character.
Here you will see all the four characters and The Cultist standing to the right wearing a purple robe. Speak to The Cultist and he will prompt you whether you want to begin Co-op mode.
Select Yes, and the 2nd player will be The Cultist and assist the main character in defeating the dungeon bosses.
You can spawn multiple times in the game. If the lead character dies, The Cultist can find a chest to revive him. The same follows if the Cultist dies.
The Cultist also happens to have a cookie that increases his movement and damage. Alternatively, he can use it to revive the lead Gungeoneer too. However, it can be used only once for revival.
All in all the game is about creating a symbiotic relationship between the main character and The Cultist so that they can survive their way far into the dungeon and mess up the dungeon bosses.
How To Play Enter The Gungeon Multiplayer Online?
Enter the Gungeon is multiplayer available. But you and your friend need to be connected to the same console to play it. At least that’s the straightforward way.
In this section, we will detail the steps that will allow you to play Enter the Gungeon multiplayer online for PC.
Here’s what you’ll need
- NVidia Graphics Card with Geforce Experience installed on the HOST PC
- Open ports on your router
- The latest version of JAVA
- 2 controllers on the HOST PC and 1 controller on the client
- Decent internet connectivity
- Moonlight PC v0.6.6.1 or higher installed on client & host machine
Steps to Enable Enter the Gungeon Online Multiplayer For PC
On the host side
- Make sure your Host PC supports NVidia Gamestream and enable it.
- Steam should be installed and running on the host PC
- Disable Windows Firewall or add NVidia Gamestream as an exception
- Open your router ports and forward them to your desktop PC. And this is where Moonlight comes into the picture.
- You need to forward the following ports to Moonlight
TCP 35043, 47984, 47989, 47995, 47996, 48010
UDP 47998, 47999, 48000, 48010
- Also, you need to set the IP of your Host PC
On the client’s PC
- Install Java
- Download Moonlight PC on the client machine. You can find all the details here.
- Run the Moonlight jar as an admin.
- On the Moonlight client, you have to enter the WAN IP of the host.
- Once’s setup is done, you’ll be prompted to enter a code. Type in the code and both the host and client PCs will be paired via Gamestream.
- Now the client can plug in a controller (supported by Moonlight) and use Steam to launch the game.
- If the ports are forwarded properly, the host and client machines can play Enter the Dungeon in co-op mode online.