Many of us have hastily picked usernames we now don’t like or are stuck with usernames that don’t fit our brand. Whatever the reason, changing our Twitch username is a feature many of us would love to have.
Unfortunately, users couldn’t change their Twitch username for a long time, but in Feb 2017, that feature was made available. So, without much ado, keep reading to find out how to change your Twitch name.
Twitch Name Change Policies
Before we show you how to make Twitch change your name, let’s see the terms and conditions attached to changing your name.
- Changing your username doesn’t automatically redirect your old username to the new one. So, if you have your channel URL on other services, you need to visit them and change them to the new channel URL.
- Users are allowed to change their username once every 60 days. So, you can’t revert or use another new username for the next 60 days after you change your name on Twitch.
- An abandoned username won’t be available to the public for the next six months after then, Twitch may make it available – this doesn’t apply to Twitch Partners.
- After the 6 months’ mark, Twitch might release abandoned usernames; anybody can snatch this username.
- You can’t request to take a username from another account.
- Most users may be unable to access their streamer stats after changing their username. Therefore, Twitch suggests you download your streamer stats before proceeding.
- Your Twitch account must have a verified email to be able to change your username.
Also Read: How to Become a Twitch Affiliate in 2022
How to Change your Twitch Name
1. How to change your name on Twitch with a web browser
Be it Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc., the steps to change username on Twitch on a browser is the same.
This remains the best way for a Twitch name change as you won’t be depending on any platform; the steps here would work on both a desktop browser and a mobile web browser (though there’s a catch).
Typically, accessing Twitch’s official site on your mobile browser converts the page to its mobile version. Chrome browser and a few others have a feature to convert the mobile interface to a desktop view.
Access Twitch then tap the three dots at the top right corner and select Desktop view or Desktop site.
- Visit the Twitch website from this link or copy and paste this https://link.Twitch.tv/ on your address bar.
- Click the profile icon on the Twitch site, often at the upper right corner.
- Select Settings
- Click the Profile tab from the Settings menu; it is often at the top bar at the far left.
- Scroll down to Profile Settings; towards the right of your username is a pencil icon; this is the Edit button; click on it to proceed.
- A window pops up asking you to enter your username, type it in and click on Update. Ensure you confirm the new name is spelt correctly as you can’t change it till 60 days.
- Twitch then asks you to enter your password. When done, click on Confirm.
- You are done; you can close the page. Twitch then emails you of the recent development.
If you haven’t verified your email, Twitch would demand you do.
2. How to Change Twitch Username from a desktop app
Aside from a few different steps, the process to change the name on Twitch is a tad similar to the web version. Follow the steps below.
- Locate and launch the Twitch desktop app.
- If not signed in already, input your log-in details.
- Click the profile icon; typically, it’s always at the top right corner of your screen.
- Click on Settings from the drop-down menu, then select the Profile tab at the top menu bar. Unlike the web interface, it’s somewhere in the middle of the menu bar.
- Scroll down to the Profile Settings section, then click the Edit button on the right side of your username.
- A window pops up, input your new username there, then click on Update.
- Follow the on-screen message, then proceed.
Twitch will then email you telling you about the action; again, you need to have a verified Twitch email address; if not, you’ll be required to verify one.
3. How to change Twitch name on mobile app (iOS/Android)
You can’t. Both the Android and iOS mobile apps of Twitch give you room to edit many features; however, you can’t change Twitch’s name on a mobile app.
Nevertheless, you can access your Twitch account from a web browser; this isn’t enough, too, as Twitch converts your mobile web page.
So, follow the steps here –
- Visit Twitch on your mobile web browser; we recommend Chrome for this.
- Sign in to your account.
- Tab the three horizontal dots at the top right corner of your screen, then tab the “Desktop Site” or “Desktop view” option.
- If logged out, re-sign back in, then proceed. Twitch then displays a desktop page view.
- Tab your profile icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Profile tab, then scroll down to Profile Settings.
- While in, tab the edit button next to your username.
- From the window that pops up, input your new username, then proceeds.
- Enter your password when asked, then confirm and leave the page.
An email would be sent to your verified email; if you haven’t verified your email, Twitch would ask that you should.
Also Read: 11 Ways To Make Money on Twitch In 2022
This guide has shown you how to change your Twitch name. Years ago, one of the popular Google searches related to Twitch was “can you change your Twitch name,” Yes, you can, and here we showed you how to change your name on Twitch in three different ways. You can make Twitch change your username via your desktop web browser, desktop app, or from your mobile browser.
Q. Can I escape a community or channel ban by changing my name?
Q. Can I have a banned Twitch name?
Q. How long does it take for Twitch’s name change to take effect?
Q. Does changing my Twitch name affect third-party bots?
Q. How do I change Twitch username color?
– While in, in the Twitch chat box, type in the /color command followed by the color name.
– If you aren’t a Twitch Turbo user, only Blue, Green, Red, CadetBlue, BlueViolet, YellowGreen, SeaGreen, OrangeRed, HotPink, GoldenRed, Firebrick, Chocolate, Coral are available. However, for Turbo users, you can use any color code (hex value) as all colors are available for you.
Q. Why can’t I use my old Twitch name?
Q. Will changing my name impact my revenue?
Q. Would my old username be available for others?
Q. Would someone use my old username to have access to my account?
Q. Can I switch names with my second Twitch account?
Q. Can I change my birthday on Twitch?
Q. How often can I change my username on Twitch?
Well, after 60 days, you can change your username again. Note, sites or platforms with your old username URL won’t be redirected to the new one; you’ll have to go to each platform and update the URL there manually.