TikTok has quickly become a popular social media platform for short videos, and going live on TikTok is a great way to connect with your target audience and grow your followers.
However, there is a threshold you need to meet before you can go live on TikTok. Let’s explore the requirements and steps to go live on the platform.
What is TikTok Live and How Does it Work?
TikTok Live is a feature that allows creators to broadcast in real-time for their followers to watch.
Similar to Facebook Live or Instagram Live, TikTok Live sessions are spontaneous, informal, and often longer than regular videos. It serves as a means of direct communication between creators and their followers.
To go live on TikTok, you need to have at least 1000 followers on your TikTok account. Additionally, you must be at least 16 years old.
While some claim there is a workaround to bypass the 1000 follower requirement, it is advisable to reach 1000 followers organically through patience and dedication.
Steps to Go Live on TikTok
If you meet the criteria to go live on TikTok and want to start a live session for your followers, follow these steps:
- Open the TikTok app and tap on the “+” icon on the home screen.
- Swipe left at the bottom to switch to the Live option.
- Set the title, cover image, and other parameters for your live session.
- Tap on the “Go Live” button to start the live stream. A countdown will appear, and your stream will begin.
- While live, you can adjust settings by tapping on the three-dot icon, allowing you to filter comments, add effects, flip the camera, and add moderators.
- To end your live session, tap on the “X” located in the top-left corner.
Joining a TikToker’s Live Session
If you’re a follower of a TikToker and want to join their live session, follow these steps:
- Find the live stream of the TikToker you want to join and tap on it to enter the Comment section.
- In the Comment section, tap on the button with two smiling faces to send a request to join the live stream.
- If approved by the TikToker or their moderators, your screen will split into two, indicating that you have successfully joined the live stream.
While there have been rumors of a workaround to go live on TikTok without reaching 1000 followers, it is not a reliable option. Attempts to trick the support team by raising a support ticket are likely to be unsuccessful. It is best to focus on growing your followers organically and meeting the required threshold.
Useful Tips for TikTok Live Sessions
To make the most out of your TikTok Live sessions, consider the following tips:
- Plan ahead: While live sessions are spontaneous, it’s beneficial to plan your content and showcase interesting aspects of your life or discuss topics related to your content niche.
- Collaborate: Collaborate with other creators or influencers to keep your live sessions engaging and entertaining for the audience.
- Promote your live session: Notify your followers in advance about your upcoming live session through other social media platforms for better reach.
- Time it right: Use tools like Hootsuite to determine the optimal time to host your live session based on when your audience is most active. Keep the duration of your session around 30 minutes to maintain engagement.