If you’re ready to tap into the power of the fastest-growing social media platform, TikTok, this comprehensive guide will show you how to go live on the platform, whether you have a minimum of 1,000 followers or not.
Discover the benefits of live streaming on TikTok, learn how to promote your live stream effectively, and avoid common mistakes that may hinder your success.
Real-Time Connection with Your Audience
Going live on TikTok offers the same advantages as live streaming on other social media channels. It gives you a unique opportunity to engage with your audience in real-time.
Viewers can ask questions and interact with you directly, adding a level of authenticity and spontaneity to your content.
The uncut, unedited, and uncensored nature of live streams can be thrilling, and they also serve as a powerful tool for driving social commerce.
Whether you’re hosting a series, engaging in conversations, sharing tutorials, or showcasing performances, live streams allow you to showcase your skills and build your brand effectively.
TikTok Lives: What You Need to Know
TikTok Lives are real-time broadcasts that users watch on the TikTok app.
These live streams are typically short and informal, although brands often adopt a more structured approach for specific purposes such as cooking shows, workout tutorials, or product demonstrations.
Similar to Facebook Live and Instagram Live videos, TikTok Live has become a popular medium for brands to build trust, educate their audience, and increase engagement.
The Minimum Requirement: 1,000 Followers
To go live on TikTok, you need a minimum of 1,000 followers and must be at least 16 years old.
Although rumors of a workaround to go live without meeting the follower requirement have circulated, these methods have proven unsuccessful.
However, we’ll share the suggested protocol in case you want to give it a try.
How to Go Live on TikTok
If you meet the requirements and have access to TikTok’s live streaming capabilities, follow these steps to go live:
- Tap the Create icon on the home screen (represented by a plus sign at the bottom).
- Swipe left until you reach the LIVE option in the bottom navigation. Choose an image and write a compelling title for your stream. Remember, the title and cover image should attract viewers’ attention.
- When you’re ready, tap Go LIVE to start your stream. The app will initiate a countdown from 3, and voila, you’re live!
- Once live, tap the three dots to access settings and features. Here, you can flip your camera, add effects, filter comments, and assign up to 20 moderators.
- To end your TikTok live stream, tap the X in the top-left corner.
Going Live on TikTok with a Tablet
If you prefer using a tablet, going live on TikTok follows the same steps as going live on a mobile device. Simply follow the instructions mentioned above, and you’ll have no trouble initiating your live stream.
Joining Someone Else’s Live Stream
To join someone else’s live stream on TikTok, follow these steps:
- Find the live stream you wish to join and click on it.
- Head to the comments section of the live stream.
- Look for a button resembling two smiling faces within the comments section and tap it to send a request to join the broadcast.
- Once your request is approved, your screen will split into two, indicating that you have successfully joined the live stream.
Going Live on TikTok without 1,000 Fans
Although there have been rumors of a workaround to go live on TikTok without having 1,000 fans, our attempts to verify this claim have been unsuccessful. However, we will provide you with the suggested protocol if you wish to explore it:
- Go to your TikTok profile and select the hamburger menu located in the top right corner.
- Navigate to “Settings and Privacy.”
- Scroll down and find the option “Report a problem.”
- Under the “Popular” section, select “I can’t start a LIVE.”
- Proceed by clicking “No.”
While we cannot guarantee the effectiveness of this method, you may still attempt it to see if it works for you.
Tips for a Successful TikTok Live Experience
Going live on TikTok can be daunting, especially for newcomers to the platform. To help you make the most of your TikTok Live experience, we’ve compiled seven valuable tips:
- Don’t wing it: Before going live, take time to plan your content and rehearse what you’ll say. Being prepared reduces the chances of stumbling or encountering awkward moments during your stream.
- Collaborate with friends and influencers: Partnering with like-minded accounts or influential individuals expands your reach and exposes your brand to a wider audience. Consider conducting interviews to provide valuable content and foster a personal connection with your viewers.
- Give people a reason to attend: Offer exclusive content or host giveaways to incentivize viewers to tune into your live stream. Make sure your stream stands out by highlighting what makes it unique and engaging for your audience.
- Promote in advance: To attract an audience, promote your live stream across your social media channels. Cross-promote your posts to maximize visibility and consider creating related content that directs viewers to your stream. Start promoting a few days ahead to allow viewers to plan and schedule their participation.
- Choose the right time: Utilize tools like Hootsuite’s best time to publish feature to identify when your audience is most active and engaged. By selecting the optimal time for your TikTok live stream, you enhance your chances of attracting a larger audience.
- Keep it short: Aim for a live stream duration of around 30 minutes, depending on your content. This timeframe allows you to accomplish your goals, interact with your audience, and leaves room for any unexpected developments.
- Set the scene: Create an inviting and controlled environment for your live stream. Ensure you have a stable filming surface with good lighting to enhance the visual quality. Anticipate and minimize potential interruptions or distractions, as live videos cannot be edited.
Enhance Your TikTok Presence with Hootsuite
To effectively manage and grow your TikTok presence alongside your other social channels, Hootsuite provides a comprehensive solution.
Schedule and publish posts at the best times, engage with your audience, and measure your performance—all from one user-friendly dashboard. Start using Hootsuite today to amplify your TikTok journey.