Although pirates aren’t too big on looks, one of the best RPG video games has included some extraordinary vanity items.
These are extremely rare, and there is no way to buy them or cheat codes or promo codes to acquire them easily. The only option to get your hands on Sea of Thieves Curses is with hours of in-game exploration.
We decided to spend those hours so you won’t have to. You’ll still have to spend some time, but not as much as our Sea Of Thieves nerds did.
Before we start talking about the Curses, here’s some important information about these Curses in Sea Of Thieves.
What do Curses do in Sea Of Thieves?
Seeing the rarity of the Curses in Sea Of Thieves, you might think these are some OP equipment or enchantments that will help you rule the seas like Davy Jones, but it’s quite the opposite.
Every Curse in Sea Of Thieves is just a cosmetic item customizing your character’s skin. These bring no power-ups or enchantments, as the title ‘Curse’ will have you believe. But, these also act as a badge of honor for a pirate, boasting a lifetime of experience sailing the toughest tides of the sea.
How many Curses are there in Sea Of Thieves?
Rare– the developers of Sea Of Thieves- continuously add more Curses in Sea Of Thieves, and the number stands on 5 right now. The game started out with 3 Curses, so there’s no harm in expecting more Sea Of Thieves Curses. But right now, you have the following 5 Curses in Sea Of Thieves to find:
- The Curse Of Sunken Sorrow
- The Legendary Curse
- The Curse Of The Order
- The Shores Of Gold Curse
- The Ashen Curse
How to get Curses in Sea Of Thieves?
Acquiring these Sea Of Thieves Curses is no piece of cake. You’ll be on long voyages for hours, carrying out multiple missions and engaging in loads of sea battles. And one small mistake will cost you the whole voyage, and you’ll find yourself at point zero once again.
It’s a game of patience and strong will but also some smart work. If you can keep your head and follow the steps in our guide, nothing can stop you from adding every Curse in Sea Of Thieves to your inventory.
With that said, let’s dive into all Sea Of Thieves Curses worth knowing all about!
All Sea Of Thieves Curses
Before you can embark on a journey to find these Curses in Sea Of Thieves, you have to carry out several smaller missions called ‘commendations’ and complete the ‘tall tales.’ Don’t stress; we have all these ‘missions’ covered under every Sea Of Thieves Curse. Let’s dive in:
The Curse of Sunken Sorrow
The latest addition to the Sea Of Thieves Curses is the Curse Of Sunken Sorrow, and to get this coral Curse of Sunken Sorrow, you need to finish the Legend of the Sunken Kingdom quest.
Now before you can embark on this journey to the Sunken Kingdom, you need to do 2 things.
- Unlock ‘Mysteries of the Sunken Kingdom’ commendation.
- Purchase ‘Legend of the Sunken Kingdom’ quest.
To unlock the ‘Mysteries,’ you’ll have to find the following six shrines:
- Shrine of Tribute
- Shrine of Ancient Tears
- Shrine of Ocean’s Fortune
- Shrine of Coral Tomb
- Shrine of Hungering
- Shrine of Flooded Embrace
Inside each of these shrines, you’ll find 5 scrolls. So, you’ll have to read through 30 scrolls to unlock the ‘Mysteries’ commendation.
After that, purchase the Legend of the Sunken Kingdom quest from Larina for 50 Dubloons. During the voyage to the Sunken Kingdom, you’ll also have to look for clues from Humphery the Hoarder and answer the Mysterious Scholars riddles.
Once you complete this quest, you’ll receive the coral-themed Curse of Sunken Sorrow in the Vanity Chest.
The Legendary Curse
Also known as the Pirate Legend Curse, this is the most coveted Curse in Sea Of Thieves. With this Curse equipped, your pirate will get glowing blue eyes and a glowing blue skull embezzled on their heart.
But before you can even set off on any voyages or commendations, you need to have a 50 Reputation Level with at least three of the following companies:
- Gold Hoarders
- Reaper’s Bones
- Merchant Alliance
- Athena’s Fortune
- Sea Dogs
- The Hunter’s Call
- Order of Souls
Once you complete 50 levels with any of the 3 companies out of these 7, you’ll get the Legendary Curse in your Vanity Chest. That’s 50 levels 3 times, so a total of 150 Reputation Levels.
The Curse of The Order
Would you like black orbs for eyes and black paint on your pirate’s face because that’s exactly what the Curse of the Order brings. To get this, you’ll have to finish the Cursed Rogue Tall Tale, one of the first Tall Tales in the Sea Of Thieves – the easiest too. Here’s how the Cursed Rogue Tall Tale will unfold:
- Visit the Plunder Outpost and meet Madame Olivia and activate the Tall Tale by voting in her book.
- Read the book ‘Chronicles of Forgotten Lives.’
- Kill Captain Avery and two of her guards to loot the ‘Skeleton Key.’
- Read Blackheart Bill’s memoirs to find the location of the chest.
- Find the chest and trade it with Madam Olivia to receive a special compass.
- The compass will help you find Captain Briggsy.
- Loot Captain Briggsy and bring it all to Madam Olivia.
You’ll now receive the Fateful Memories commendation, the Curse of the Order, and Captain Briggsy’s sword. It’s the only Curse that rewards a weapon, that too of the much-feared Captain Briggsy.
The Shores of Gold Curse
The Gold Curse in Sea Of Thieves is by far the most impressive one and the most demanding one. Players have to finish all 9 Tall Tales of the main questline 5 times. And then, you will unlock the ‘Seeker of Grand Adventure’ commendation. Once you do that, your pirate will get a golden eyeball and patches of gold all over the skin. It’s absolute gold- pun intended.
Before you can unlock the ‘Seeker of Grand Adventure’ commendation, you’ll have to complete the following commendations too:
- Lord of Gold.
- The Fabled Island.
- The Stains of Greed.
- Gold and Glory.
- Shores of Gold.
- Path To Forsaken Fortune.
After completing all of these commendations, you’ll also receive a Gold Hoarder figurehead for your ship to complete the golden look.
The Ashen Curse
One of the coolest Sea Of Thieves curses is also the easiest to attain. The Ashen Curse will make your pirate glow orange from the inside. It looks like your pirate can spit fire, in other words, super cool.
Here’s how you can acquire the Ashen Curse:
- Head to Morrow’s Peak outpost and vote for the Heart of Fire tall tale.
- Meet with Captain Pendragon to start your journey for Liar’s Backbone.
- Find Stitcher Jim’s hideout and obtain a journal and a mysterious key.
- Meet Stitcher Jim in Devil’s Thirst and start a journey into a chamber through a skull-shaped doorway.
- You’ll see orange crystals as you go deep into the chamber.
- There are plenty of booby traps in here so be careful and be patient.
- You’ll soon find the second and third journal sitting in a pile of skulls and by a chamber door respectively. 3 down, 2 to go.
- Move forward to fight some enemies and find the 4th journal in another pile of skulls.
- Now, time to enter the final room of the chamber, a room filled with spikes.
- You’ll find the 5th journal in the second cubicle of this spiked room.
- After finding the 5th journal, head out to the hallway where you’ll find Stitcher Jim’s ‘Chest of Rage.’
- Bring the chest to Captain Pendragon, who’ll unlock it for you and you shall now have the Ashen Curse in your Vanity Chest.
Although this has the most steps, it is the easiest out of all the Tall Tales for Sea Of Thieves Curses.
And that’s pretty much it for now. Our favorite Sea of Thieves Curse is the Gold Curse. After all, what’s a pirate without a little bit of gold bling.
As soon as Rare adds new Curses in Sea Of Thieves, we’ll update this page.