A distressed mother has taken to TikTok, alerting parents to a household danger that landed her 7-year-old son in the burn intensive care unit (ICU) – a cup of instant noodles.
A Plea to Parents
Nicole Lego, a mother of two, took to the popular social media platform to share the chilling tale of how a mundane meal turned into a painful nightmare.
She urged parents to exercise caution when it comes to Cup Noodles, an item she never imagined could pose such a risk.
Lego’s seven-year-old son has been in the burn ICU for the past five days, after accidentally dropping a cup of soup.
The hot liquid spilled over him, scalding his skin like an “ice cream cone” melting in the sun. By the time he was rushed to the hospital, second-degree burns were already apparent.
The Severity of the Injury
Over the course of her viral video, viewed by 7.5 million people, Lego shed light on the grim realities of such burns. The injury, she explained, continues to worsen up to 72 hours after the incident.
In a follow-up operation, her son received a graft of pig skin. She explained that this procedure is used to seal skin nerves and aid their healing.
“The literal trauma that they will have for the rest of their lives over a cup of noodles,” she emphasized, underlining the severity of the injury.
A Common but Underestimated Hazard
Upon arriving at the emergency room, the medical staff informed Lego that this type of accident is one of the most common they see with children.
Motivated by this information, Lego posted her initial video in hopes of sparing other children the traumatic experience her son endured.
In response to comments, she revealed that her son had prepared the noodles himself while she was putting her younger child down for a nap.
Suddenly, she heard screams from the kitchen. The heartbreaking incident took only two minutes to unfold.
Despite receiving some negative comments, Lego stood her ground, emphasizing the purpose of her video was to spread awareness. She pointed out that the accident could happen to anyone, citing comments from adults who had experienced similar incidents.
“It is one of the most common burns in the ICU. That is why I made this video. So no child OR grown adult has to go through what my child went through,” she affirmed.
A Positive Update
In an update, Lego reassured viewers that her son is recovering well, and doctors are optimistic about his condition. They anticipate minimal scarring and expect any discoloration to fade as he grows older.
Through her heartbreaking ordeal, Lego aims to raise awareness about everyday household hazards and the need for vigilance when children are preparing or handling hot food and beverages.