Cats are adorable creatures in Minecraft that can soften your heart and can melt your heart, even if you’re staying in cold biomes in Minecraft.
Despite the fact cats can be hard to tame, it feels super rewarded since they’re cute, can they away creepers, and even have 9 different variants!
What You Need to Tame a Cats in Minecraft
- 1x Raw Cod
- Or 1x Raw Salmon
How to Tame a Cat in Minecraft
Step 1: Collect 1x Raw Cod or Salmon
Raw cod and salmon have some points in common so we will lead the way where you can just gather both of them at the same time for maximum effect.
You can catch either raw cod or salmon by fishing near lakes, rivers, and oceans. The chance to catch a raw cod is 50% chance and raw salmons are 21%.
This chance may slightly be decreased with Luck of the Sea enchantment, but not really a big deal. You can still use the fishing rod with Luck of the sea III and still can catch them easily.
If you find an Ocean Monument and have good enough gears, try exploring it and killing some Guardians or even Elder Guardians. They have a 40-50% chance to drop a raw cod on death.
They also have an additional 2.5% chance to drop a random fish which 60% of it is being a raw cod.
If you’re in cold biomes, fishing may get worst because of the heavy snowstorm, so how about killing some Polar bears instead?
They have a 75% chance to drop 0-2x raw cod, and 25% to drop 1x raw salmon on death.
You always receive at least one type of raw fish and this count is affected by Looting III enchantment, bring the fish you can get to 3-8x raw cod or salmon.
The most common way to catch raw cod or salmon is by diving underwater. Especially in those biomes: rivers, lakes, oceans, lukewarm oceans, frozen oceans, deep oceans, and their variants.
If you find the correct biomes but don’t see any fishes, just wander around a little bit and they will spawn.
Alternatively, you can find looted chests in the Village for raw fish.
They have a medium chance to contain 1-3x raw cod or a low chance to contain 1-3x raw salmon. So it’s always better to aim for raw cod since they’re much more common.
Step 2: Find Cats in Minecraft
Cats can be found in only two places: Villages, and Swamp Huts.
If you’ve found a village, make sure that village has some beds or at least five beds around it. If there are no more than 5 cats already near the village, a random cat will be spawned every one minute in real life near the player from 8-32 blocks.
Or if you’re in the Swamp biome, try looking for a swamp hut. There will be always a black cat inside the hut, and also the witch!
With that being said, make sure you kill the with fast enough but don’t hurt the cat by luring the witch outside. Cats that spawn in the witch hut are always black.
Step 3: Tame a Cat
When you have found the raw fishes and cats, slowly go to the cat by pressing the shift button to sneak. Otherwise, the cat will try to run away.
Next, put the raw cod or salmon into your Hotbar and right-click it on the cat to tame it. You will need at least 10+ raw fish to successfully tame a cat.
Just like the dog, you can make the cat sit down or feed them fish to have them enter the love mode. This way, they will breed to produce kittens.
Why can’t I tame cats in Minecraft?
Many people can’t tame a cat because they were using cooked fish, not raw. So make sure to keep your fish uncooked before taming a cat.
How many fish does it take to tame a cat in Minecraft?
Around 15-20 fishes. But it may be less depending on your luck. If you’re going to tame a cat, bringing a full stack of raw fish is recommended.
Can I tame a black cat?
Yes! You can tame a black cat normally in Minecraft since it’s just another cat variant in the game.
What is the rarest cat in Minecraft?
Siamese is the rarest cat in Minecraft! They have a white and brown color with blue eyes. Pretty unique!